Tailor your MBA to fit you
One size does not fit all.
Tailor your MBA to fit you. With more specialization options than any other part-time or full-time MBA program in Colorado, your degree matches your lifestyle and career goals. Take classes in the classroom or online. You can also complete the degree fully online. We give you the power of choice.
Our Professional MBA provides built-in flexibility for you to explore your interests, while still giving you a solid business foundation applicable to every industry or discipline. You can also customize your MBA by taking advantage of your elective hours to complete a specialization. With 12 hours of electives, you can choose from over 100 electives to hone your skills. Program highlights include:
- Our downtown Denver location provides access to business leaders and experiences.
- Career and professional development opportunities are available every week through guest speakers, panel events, career fairs, and exclusive internship opportunities.
- Flexibility and convenience built into the program that allows you to take classes in our downtown location, online, or close to the Denver Tech Center at CU South Denver.
- 15 specialization options give you a way to customize your degree to your interests. Six of the options are available completely online.
You'll have full access to our Business Career Connections team for life. With over 10 years of recruiting and advising experience, they'll help you navigate your way through the corporate recruiting process. Our connections to over 300 business partners provide exclusive opportunities to network with industry leaders. Their services include:
- Career workshops – perfect your resume, LinkedIn profile, and job search process
- Individual appointments – explore what your personal career path looks like, review your resume, or schedule a mock interview
- Career events – hone your networking skills and meet hiring managers from top companies
- Job announcements – monthly emails with the latest job and internship opportunities specific to your degree
The Professional MBA consists of 45 credit hours total, broken down into a core, elective/specialization, and an international business elective.
Core courses (30 hours)
Business fundamentals are important for future leaders. We’ve chosen areas that you need to be successful in managing teams, no matter the organization or industry.
- Data analysis
- Law and ethics
- Information systems
- Financial management
- Strategic management
Specialization/elective courses (12 hours)
Most students use these hours to build out one of 15 specializations to dive deeper into one area. We offer hundreds of classes to customize your degree. Review the next section for more information on those specialization options. You also have the option to choose electives to explore your interests and dive deeper into the areas of business you are most interested in. Below are a few electives to choose from:
- Predictive analytics
- Financial modeling
- Negotiation skills
- Project management
- Business intelligence systems
- Digital marketing
- Fraud examination
- Corporate Risk Management
- Partnership taxation
- International entrepreneurship
International business (3 hours)
To fulfill this requirement, you can either complete an international class in Denver or participate in a course abroad. Our international courses focus on live case studies and international consulting projects to get you hands-on experience. Past trips have taken students to Cuba, China, London, and Ireland.
Specializations require 12 hours of related coursework and can be added or changed throughout your program.
Learn to interpret accounting information, tackle complex problems and communicate information to investors, creditors, managers and other organizational decision makers.
Bioinnovation and Entrepreneurship
Taking advantage of Colorado’s biocluster and a collaboration with faculty at the Anschutz Medical Campus, this offering is geared towards helping bioentrepreneurs achieve commercial success.
This specialization trains you in forecasting, optimization, and simulation and how to construct and interpret models of big data.
Through hands-on learning, you'll work within MicroStrategy’s Business Intelligence Software, a leading software for business intelligence. This specialization may be completed completely online.
You’ll gain the skills used to develop and implement business strategy, and you’ll have the leadership knowledge to help organizations effectively meet those objectives.
Dive into topics like trading operations, investment management, and investment banking. Internships, field trips, guest speakers, and networking opportunities connect you to executives in commodities firms in agriculture, energy, minerals, and metals.
Classes will get into the nitty-gritty of business plans, legal issues, venture capitalists, web development, and more. This specialization gives you access to dozens of networking opportunities including an annual business plan competition, internships, local entrepreneurs, and connections with new ventures.
You’ll have specialized skills in different financial function areas including corporate, investments, and financial institutions. You’ll be able to choose from a range of topics including forecasting, derivatives, risk management, and firm evaluation. This specialization may be completed completely online.
You’ll know how to analyze data and better manage business processes with technology. This specialization may be completed completely online.
Business crosses all boundaries including country borders, language barriers, and cultural differences. You’ll be able to apply your international business knowledge across disciplines.
Concentrate your degree on becoming a more effective leader. You’ll develop key leadership skills including project management, negotiation, ethics, and sustainability. This specialization may be completed completely online.
Managing for Sustainability
You’ll learn how to build a strategy to reduce operating costs, open up new markets and revenue streams, increase customer loyalty, and improve financial performance. This specialization may be completed completely online.
Learn how to build long-term relationships between a company and its customers. This specialization gives you skills in marketing strategy, digital marketing, marketing research, buyer behavior, and sales management.
Risk Management and Insurance
All businesses manage risk and 50% of the industry’s workforce is retiring in the next decade. With this huge need in talent, companies are looking for professionals capable in managing risk to enhance firm value. You’ll learn how to identify liabilities and mitigate risk in commercial settings and introduce insurance products for personal and commercial use. This specialization may be completed completely online. Member of the Global Center for Insurance Excellence.
Sports and Entertainment
Colorado is a hub for sports and entertainment with eight major professional sports team and world-renowned entertainment venues like Red Rocks Amphitheatre. This specialization delivers a unique twist on management by focusing on niche industries that represent a huge market. Member of the Global Center for Insurance Excellence (GCIE).
Your online courses are taught by the same professors and lecturers that teach on campus. All core MBA courses can be found online. We also offer hybrid courses in the evening for those working full-time.
While not all specializations can be completed online, many offer classes with online options. With careful planning, the following specializations can be completed fully online:
- Business Intelligence
- Information Systems
- Managing for Sustainability
- Risk Management and Insurance
The cost of tuition for the Professional MBA is different for in-state and out-of-state students.
Residents of western states may qualify for in-state tuition if they are pursuing a Professional MBA. The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) requires that students maintain current residency of WRGP state until degree completion.
Scholarships are available for students. The Business School offers a recurring scholarship opportunity for Professional MBA applicants based on merit at the time of admission.
As a current student, you can apply for additional scholarships every semester. Some awards are based on program and course enrollment. Certain specializations including risk management and insurance, commodities, and entrepreneurship have additional scholarship opportunities.
Dual degree options for the Professional MBA include all Business School Master of Science degree programs excluding the MS Health Administration. We design a specific degree plan so you get through both programs as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. Master of Science programs available for dual degree options include:
- MS Accounting
- MS Business Analytics
- MS Finance and Risk Management
- MS Global Energy Management
- MS Information Systems
- MS International Business
- MS Management
- MS Marketing
- MS Taxation
If you are applying for two degrees through the CU Denver Business School, you will only need to submit one application. For more information about dual degree options and the application process, please contact BSchool.Admissions@ucdenver.edu.
Partner Dual Degree Programs
We have also partnered with other CU Denver departments to offer dual degree options for the following programs. You will need to apply to both programs separately and follow the admission requirements for each program.
- MD from the University of Colorado School of Medicine
- PharmD from the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- MArch from the CU Denver College of Architecture and Planning
- MURP from the CU Denver College of Architecture and Planning
- MLA from the CU Denver College of Architecture and Planning
- MA Political Science from the CU Denver College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- MS Bioengineering from the CU Denver College of Engineering, Design and Computing
- Graduate School of Banking at Colorado
The Professional MBA degree admits students for a fall, spring, or summer start. Admissions are made on a rolling basis, meaning decisions are made as applications are completed.
Applicants are required to submit all application materials. Interviews are not a part of the admission process. To receive priority admission, we must have received your online application and all other required materials including transcripts and GMAT/GRE scores by the deadline.
You can check your admission status online through the account you created for the online application. You will receive a final decision by email within two to three weeks from the submission of all materials.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate program at an accredited United States college or its equivalent in another country.
- The GMAT is required for admission, however, the GRE may be substituted. GMAT/GRE waivers are available on a case-by-case basis and can be requested while completing the online application. Please note, not all programs offer the same GMAT/GRE waivers.
- No work experience or formal business education is required for admission.
How Decisions Are Made
The admissions committee considers each candidate’s entire record of achievement. This is demonstrated through:
- Academic transcripts
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Essay responses
- Letters of recommendation if applicable
- Work experience
- Extracurricular and community activities
No work experience or formal business education is required for admission. However, professional experience strengthens your application. Candidates with less work experience can show potential through academic and experiential success.
For any questions, please contact our admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-315-8200.
To meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) criteria, you must either showcase your proficiency through past education in English instruction or an English Language Proficiency test. If you are a citizen of a country whose official language is English, you do not have to prove proficiency. See below for a listing of accepted countries.
To claim proficiency, you must complete one of the following criteria. Please note that test scores are valid for two years.
- Submit a TOEFL score that meets the minimum requirements of 79 (IBT) or 537 (PBT).
The minimum IBT sub-scores for each section are:
- Reading: 18
- Listening: 17
- Speaking: 20
- Writing: 17
- Submit an IELTS score of at least 6.5 The minimum IELTS sub scores for the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections are 5.5.
- Submit a copy of completion from the CU Denver ESL Academy.
- Be a citizen of a country whose official language is English. International applicants holding a citizenship from the following countries do not need to prove their English language proficiency for admission to CU Denver: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Granada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, The Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom.
- International applicants may meet the English language proficiency requirement through any of the options below for previous coursework completed. Options for previous coursework completed which will satisfy admissions ELP requirements:
- Earn an associate or bachelor's degree in the US
- Earn a post-secondary credential (comparable to a US associate or bachelor's degree) in any of the exempt countries listed above
- Earn a post-secondary credential (comparable to a US associate or bachelor's degree) at an exempt-country-accredited school located in a non-exempt country
- Earned 12 or more credit hours in a master or doctoral degree program in the United States, an exempt country, or at an exempt-country-accredited school in a non-exempt country AND earned an overall college-level GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Priority: April 15
- Final: July 15
- Priority: March 15
- Final: May 15
- Priority: October 15
- Final: December 15
- Priority: September 15
- Final: October 15
- Priority: February 15
- Final: April 15
- Priority: January 15
- Final: March 15
Our Business Career Connections (BCC) office connects top Denver employers to our students. They know what recruiters are looking for and have a wealth of resources that you have access to as a student and alumnus.
CU Denver MBA alumni, 2017
Companies looking to hire come to CU Denver first because of our reputation in producing work-ready graduates.
“CU Denver students have real-world experience and are ready to talk about their jobs. There’s a reason we keep coming back.”
– S&P Global Recruiter
Our students tell our story best.
Start the conversation.