A top-ranked health administration program
The oldest CAHME-accredited program in the Rocky Mountain region
An evening program located in the heart of Denver, your education will allow you to specialize your business education to the health administration field. As a part of the Business School Alliance for Health Management (BAHM), we are among a small group of top-ranked institutions including Harvard, Northwestern, and University of Pennsylvania – Wharton.
This degree is for students who already have a formal business education or an MBA degree and are looking to specialize within the health care industry.
For over 50 years, our competitive MS Health Administration program has brought in a diverse set of students from a wide variety of backgrounds including pharmacists, physicians, and entrepreneurs. Highlights of the program include:
- A field study built into the curriculum to give you practical experience
- Strong ties to the health community in Colorado and across the nation at hospitals, HMOs, medical group practices, and consulting companies
- Flexibility to work full-time while completing the degree with evening and online class options
You’ll receive real-world experience as a part of this degree. Through the capstone health field study course, you’ll relate your classroom knowledge directly to problems facing hospitals and other health care organizations.
The curriculum is identical to our Health Administration MBA degree with the ability to waive core business coursework that may be repetitive from a prior business degree. The MS Health Administration consists of 30 credit hours total and is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). You may need to take up to 15 hours of additional coursework outlined in the Common Body of Knowledge to ensure a strong business foundation.
Common body of knowledge (15 hours)
These courses can be individually waived based on prior education. They give a broad foundation of business knowledge.
- Health care leadership
- Data analysis
- Operations management
Health administration core (21 hours)
These classes help you understand the health care landscape and policy shaping the industry today.
- Health care law and ethics
- Health care marketing
- Health care strategy
- Health care systems
- Health field studies capstone
- Health care economics
- Health care quality and outcomes
Health administration information technology elective (3 hours)
It’s impossible to separate data from health care. With this course, you’ll be able to understand how to make decisions based on data to create holistic pictures of patients, treatments, communication, and health outcomes.
Health administration electives (6 hours)
Additional coursework can be tailored to your interests and include special topics such as:
- Building biotechnology
- Leadership in new ventures
- Profiles in health care
- International health policy
- Travel study
Healthcare is an industry with high growth potential that will continue into the future. Health administration professionals work to administer, lead and manage healthcare systems, such as hospitals, hospital networks or large healthcare systems. Careers can be found in both private and public sectors.
Health Administration Job Titles
- Account Executive
- Admissions Director
- Business Analyst
- Case Manager
- Claims Specialist
- Director of Nursing
- Director of Operations
- Health Facilities Surveyor
- Healthcare Administrator
- Hospital Administrator
- Medical Associate
- Medical Records Director
- Patient Access Supervisor
- Program Director
Visit our Careers page for more detailed information on the resources available.
The cost of tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state students.
Residents of western states may qualify for in-state tuition if they are pursuing this degree. The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) requires that students maintain current residency of WRGP state until degree completion.
Scholarships are available for students. The Business School offers a recurring scholarship opportunity for applicants based on merit at the time of admission.
We admit students for a fall, spring, or summer start. Admissions are made on a rolling basis, meaning decisions are made as applications are completed.
Applicants are required to submit all application materials. Interviews are a part of the admission process. Because of the program’s competitive nature and limited space, we strongly recommend submitting your application as early as possible.
You can check your admission status online through the account you created for the online application. Within two to three weeks from submission of all materials, you will be notified if you are moving forward in the admissions process.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate program at an accredited United States college or its equivalent in another country.
- The GMAT is required for admission, however, the GRE, MCAT, LSAT, or PCAT may be substituted. GMAT waivers are available on a case-by-case basis and can be requested while completing the online application.
- No work experience or formal business education is required for admission.
For any questions, please contact our admissions team at email@example.com or call 303-315-8200.
To meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) criteria, you must either showcase your proficiency through past education in English instruction or an English Language Proficiency test. If you are a citizen of a country whose official language is English, you do not have to prove proficiency. See below for a listing of accepted countries.
To claim proficiency, you must complete one of the following criteria. Please note that test scores are valid for two years.
- Submit a TOEFL score that meets the minimum requirements of 75 (IBT) or 537 (PBT). The minimum IBT sub scores for each section are: Reading: 15, Listening: 15, Speaking: 18, Writing: 17.
- Submit an IELTS score of at least 6.5 The minimum IELTS sub scores for the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections are 5.5.
- Submit a copy of completion from the CU Denver ESL Academy.
- Earned an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in the United States or has successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of full-time study in a master’s program at an accredited institution in the United States.
- Have graduated from a US/UK accredited school abroad with English as the medium of instruction.
- Earned an associate's or bachelor's degree in the US or have successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of full-time study in a master's program at an accredited institution in the US.
- Be a citizen of a country whose official language is English. These countries include Australia, Belize, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Ghana, United Kingdom, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
To be eligible for scholarships you must apply by the priority deadlines. Plan to submit materials early to expedite processing. Deadlines apply to all required documents. Please note that if you apply by the final deadlines many classes may be full.
Dual degree options for the Health Administration programs include any Master of Science program at the Business School. We design a specific degree plan so you get through both programs as quickly and cost effectively as possible. Eligible Master of Science programs include:
- MS Accounting
- MS Business Analytics
- MS Finance and Risk Management
- MS Global Energy Management
- MS Information Systems
- MS Management
- MS Marketing
- MS Taxation
If you are applying for two degrees through the CU Denver Business School, you will only need to submit one application. For more information about dual degree options and the application process, please contact BSchool.Admissions@ucdenver.edu.
The health administration program has limited spots available that are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis and may fill up prior to the posted deadlines. Early applications are encouraged.
- Priority: April 15
- Final: July 15
- Priority: March 15
- Final: May 15
- Priority: October 15
- Final: December 15
- Priority: September 15
- Final: October 15
- Priority: February 15
- Final: April 30
- Priority: January 15
- Final: March 15
job placement over the past three years
health field study projects have been completed for Colorado health care organizations
Graduates are CEO, CMO, or COO of hospitals and healthcare organizations in Colorado including: Good Samaritan Medical Center, Medical Group Management Association, Kaiser Permanente, Swedish Medical Center
active alumni community connected to current students
Start the conversation.