Stay ahead of the digital curve
A degree that blends technology and strategy
Our program layers managerial training with technical concepts to help you become a leader in your chosen career path in information technology. You can customize your degree to your interests or choose a specialization in either Business Intelligence or Cybersecurity. With hands-on software projects, each class will take you one step closer to understanding how to harness the power of technology for business.
Our MS Information Systems students come to us from a variety of backgrounds, mostly IT-related, and bring their expertise and work experience into classroom discussions. An evening or online program, we give you the flexibility to fit this degree into your life. With a mix of applied technical classes and practical managerial and project management coursework, you’ll graduate ready to lead technology strategy in any organization.
You’ll graduate with a strong grasp of technical concepts and how to effect change through technologies. Explore the following topics throughout the program:
- Business strategy
- Project management
You'll have full access to our Business Career Connections team for life. With over 10 years of recruiting and advising experience, they'll help you navigate your way through the corporate recruiting process. Our connections to over 300 business partners provide exclusive opportunities to network with industry leaders. Their services include:
- Career workshops – perfect your resume, LinkedIn profile, and job search process
- Individual appointments – explore what your personal career path looks like, review your resume, or schedule a mock interview
- Career events – hone your networking skills and meet hiring managers from top companies
- Job announcements – monthly emails with the latest job and internship opportunities specific to your degree
The MS in Information Systems is designed to be completed in two years. Much of your coursework will be hands-on software projects that’ll give you applied experience.
Core (15 hours)
Core courses serve as the foundation for understanding the complex issues that occur when designing, implementing and managing information systems within an organization. Courses cover topics such as:
- Database management
- Information systems management and strategy
- Security and privacy
- Programing with Python
- Analysis modeling and design
- Network design
- Business intelligence and analytics
- Project management
- Governance and service management
Elective courses (15 credits)
You can customize your degree to your interests by choosing 5 courses (15 credits) of Information Systems courses (ISMG) at the 6000 level or higher. Up to six credit hours of Business School or Computer Science (CSCI) courses may be used as electives.
If you choose to add a specialization, you may use your elective hours to satisfy those requirements.
Business Intelligence Systems
Business intelligence systems combine data with analytical tools to present complex information in a usable format. Data is then used to make decisions and understand the capabilities of a firm, future market directions, regulatory environment, and actions of competitors. For this specialization, course topics include:
- Business intelligence systems
- Data warehousing and administration
- Text data analytics and visualization
- Business intelligence in finance and healthcare
Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
A field actively looking for talent, cybersecurity is of growing relevance. Companies depend on digital solutions and the consequence of security breaches are all too real. This specialization hones your skills through course topics including:
- Securing and protecting enterprise
- IT risk mangement
- Ethical hacking
- Intrusion detection and incident response
The cost of tuition for the MS Information Systems degree is different for in-state and out-of-state students.
Residents of western states may qualify for in-state tuition. The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) requires that students maintain current residency of WRGP state until degree completion.
Scholarships are available for students. As a current student, you can apply for scholarships every semester. Some awards are based on program and course enrollment.
We offer this degree entirely online. The online program has the same requirements as the on-campus program and is taught by the same professors. You can blend campus courses, hybrid courses, and fully online courses to fit your schedule.
Specialized Dual Degree Option
Many students pursue the dual degree option of pairing an MS in Business Analytics with an MS in Information Systems (Business Intelligence Specialization). These two degree options offer complementary courses and can be completed together efficiently. Speak with a graduate advisor for more details.
Additional Dual Degree Options
Dual degree options for Master of Science programs include all of our MBA programs and all Business School Master of Science programs. We design a specific degree plan so you get through both programs as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. The amount of credits in each dual degree depends on the amount of overlap between degree programs. Eligible Master of Science programs include:
- MS Accounting
- MS Business Analytics
- MS Finance and Risk Management
- MS Global Energy Management
- MS Health Administration
- MS Information Systems
- MS International Business
- MS Management
- MS Marketing
- MS Taxation
If you are applying for both degrees, you will only need to submit one online application and pay one application fee. Be aware that you must meet specific admission standards for each degree. For more information about dual degree options and the application process, please contact BSchool.Admissions@ucdenver.edu.
Applicants are required to submit all application materials. Interviews are not a part of the admission process. To receive priority admission, we must have received your online application and all other required materials including transcripts and GMAT/GRE scores by the deadline.
You can check your admission status online through the account you created for the online application. You will receive a final decision by email within two to three weeks from submission of all materials.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate program at an accredited United States college or its equivalent in another country.
- The GMAT is required for admission, however, the GRE may be substituted. GMAT waivers are available on a case-by-case basis and can be requested while completing the online application.
- No work experience or formal business education is required for admission.
How Decisions Are Made
The admissions committee considers each candidate’s entire record of achievement. This is demonstrated through:
- Academic transcripts
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Essay responses
- Letters of recommendation if applicable
- Work experience
- Extracurricular and community activities
No work experience or formal business education is required for admission. However, professional experience strengthens your application. Candidates with less work experience can show potential through academic and experiential success.
For any questions, please contact our admissions team at email@example.com or call 303-315-8200.
To meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) criteria, you must either showcase your proficiency through past education in English instruction or an English Language Proficiency test. If you are a citizen of a country whose official language is English, you do not have to prove proficiency. See below for a listing of accepted countries.
To claim proficiency, you must complete one of the following criteria. Please note that test scores are valid for two years.
- Submit a TOEFL score that meets the minimum requirements of 75 (IBT) or 537 (PBT). The minimum IBT sub scores for each section are: Reading: 15, Listening: 15, Speaking: 18, Writing: 17.
- Submit an IELTS score of at least 6.5 The minimum IELTS sub scores for the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections are 5.5.
- Submit a copy of completion from the CU Denver ESL Academy.
- Earned an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in the United States or has successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of full-time study in a master’s program at an accredited institution in the United States.
- Have graduated from a US/UK accredited school abroad with English as the medium of instruction.
- Earned an associate's or bachelor's degree in the US or have successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of full-time study in a master's program at an accredited institution in the US.
- Be a citizen of a country whose official language is English. These countries include Australia, Belize, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Ghana, United Kingdom, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
To be eligible for scholarships you must apply by the priority deadlines. Plan to submit materials early to expedite processing. Deadlines apply to all required documents. Please note that if you apply by the final deadlines many classes may be full.
Plan to submit materials early to expedite processing. Deadlines apply to all required documents. To be eligible for scholarships you must apply by the priority deadlines. Please note that if you apply by the final deadlines many classes may be full. Course offerings are limited for summer.
- Priority: April 15
- Final: June 30
- Priority: March 15
- Final: May 15
- Priority: October 15
- Final: November 30
- Priority: September 15
- Final: October 15
- Priority: February 15
- Final: April 30
- Priority: January 15
- Final: March 15
Many students take advantage of internships for credit while going to school full-time. These internships oftentimes result in full-time job offers upon completion. Past companies our students have interned for include:
- Newmont Mining
- Pingora Asset Management
Our Information Systems Association (ISA) student chapter provides huge value for our MS Information Systems students. It has been instrumental in helping our students attain their career goals through high-profile events and speakers.
Through our Center for Information Technology Innovation, we celebrate the collaboration between academia and industry. Our corporate members come from leading tech companies across industries globally. As a student, you’ll benefit from the connections we’ve built with these leading companies.
- Arrow Electronics
Start the conversation.