Manage your own success
Lead your team to the next level
This degree prepares you for leadership roles in both public and private sector organizations. Our students are professionals who challenge themselves to become stronger leaders ready to make the big decisions. Dive deep into one of four specializations that allow you to tailor your degree or customize the program to fit your needs.
In our MS Management and Organization program, you’ll understand how to manage interpersonal dynamics, effectively design organizations, and manage human resources and lead change. A career-focused group, our students are looking to take a leadership role in their organizations to drive change.
Unlike an MBA which covers a number of different business functions, such as accounting and finance, this degree specializes in the human and organizational aspects of business. You'll dive deeper into topics such as organizational change, leadership, and strategy.
No matter if you’re taking lectures on campus or participating online, you’ll be taught by a mix of expert faculty who do high-quality research and have extensive work experience in diverse organizations. CU Denver management faculty have consistently published in top journals for their research.
You'll have full access to our Business Career Connections team for life. With over 10 years of recruiting and advising experience, they'll help you navigate your way through the corporate recruiting process. Our connections to over 300 business partners provide exclusive opportunities to network with industry leaders. Their services include:
- Career workshops – perfect your resume, LinkedIn profile, and job search process
- Individual appointments – explore what your personal career path looks like, review your resume, or schedule a mock interview
- Career events – hone your networking skills and meet hiring managers from top companies
- Job announcements – monthly emails with the latest job and internship opportunities specific to your degree
The MS Management and Organization curriculum consists of 30 hours of core, specialization and elective courses.
Core courses (12 hours)
Begin your degree by building a strong foundation of leadership and organizational structure and change. Course topics include:
- Leading individuals and teams
- Leading organizational change
- Designing effective organizations
- Managing people for competitive advantage
Specializations (optional - 9 hours)
Dive deeper into topics that matter most to your career. We offer four specializations, or you can choose courses that best align with your career goals.
Electives (9 hours)
Explore other business courses relevant for your success. If you do not choose a specialization, you will complete 18 hours of electives.
Specializations require 9 hours of related coursework. Please note that not all specializations can be completed entirely online.
Leadership and Change Management
Leading a team effectively is no small task. Concentrate on honing your skills so you’re ready to make your people your biggest competitive advantage. Course topics include:
- Visionary leadership
- Leadership development
- Bargaining and negotiation
- Business ethics and CSR
- Business strategy lab
- Sustainable change leadership
Business Strategy and Innovation
You’ll develop and implement strategic plans and learn how to effectively identify, design, and implement organizational change initiatives. Course topics include:
- Strategic management
- Business strategy lab
- Sustainable change leadership
- Bargaining and negotiation
- Business model development and planning
Managing for Sustainability
Companies are embracing social and environmental responsibility as a core business strategy. Learn about what businesses are facing in a world where resources are scarce, social safety nets are declining, and customers are concerned about a company’s investment in corporate responsibility. Course topics include:
- Business ethics and corporate social responsibility
- Marketing and sustainability
- Supply chain management
- Global climate change
Construction Engineering Management
Gain management knowledge and specialized construction engineering management expertise. Course topics include:
- Project management systems
- Construction planning and control
- Construction leadership
We also offer this degree entirely online. The online program has the same requirements as the on-campus program and is taught by the same professors. You can blend campus courses, hybrid courses, and fully online courses to fit your schedule.
For the MS Management degree, the core classes are all offered online. However, not all specializations can be completed entirely online. The following specializations can be completed entirely online.
- Leadership and Change Management
- Managing for Sustainability
- General Track
Careers in Management
Management is an extremely versatile major that prepares students for careers in nearly all corporate, public sector, and non-profit organizations. Students who complete a management degree acquire the necessary perspective and skills to work toward leadership positions in almost any professional setting. Examples of typical management career paths are below. In addition, with carefully selected and focused electives, you can tailor your management major to pursue any of the careers below within specific spheres of interest such as healthcare, technology, or sustainability.
Examples of management career paths:
- Banking and Investment Services
- Personnel/Talent Recruiting
- Personnel/Talent Coaching and Development
- Human Resources
- Sales and Client Development
Visit our Careers page for more detailed information on the resources available.
The cost of tuition for the MS Management degree is different for in-state and out-of-state students.
Residents of western states may qualify for in-state tuition. The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) requires students to maintain current residency of WRGP state until degree completion.
Scholarships are available for students. As a current student, you can apply for scholarships every semester. Some awards are based on program and course enrollment.
Dual degree options for Master of Science programs include all of our MBA programs and all Business School Master of Science programs. We design a specific degree plan so you get through both programs as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. The amount of credits in each dual degree depends on the amount of overlap between degree programs. Eligible Master of Science programs include:
- MS Accounting
- MS Business Analytics
- MS Finance and Risk Management
- MS Global Energy Management
- MS Information Systems
- MS International Business
- MS Management
- MS Marketing
- MS Taxation
If you are applying for both degrees, you will only need to submit one online application and pay one application fee. Be aware that you must meet specific admission standards for each degree. For more information about dual degree options and the application process, please contact BSchool.Admissions@ucdenver.edu.
Applicants are required to submit all application materials. Interviews are not a part of the admission process. To receive priority admission, we must have received your online application and all other required materials including transcripts and GMAT/GRE scores by the deadline.
You can check your admission status online through the account you created for the online application. You will receive a final decision by email within two to three weeks from the submission of all materials.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate program at an accredited United States college or its equivalent in another country.
- No work experience or formal business education is required for admission, however, you may have to provide a GMAT or GRE score if you do not have enough work experience, see below.
The GMAT/GRE is not required for this program
The MS Management program does not require GMAT or GRE scores for their degree program as part of the graduate admissions requirements. The requirements are a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better from a US accredited four-year undergraduate institution or the successful completion of a graduate degree, and five or more years of full-time professional work experience.
However, if you received your bachelor’s degree with a grade point average of less than 3.25 or have less than 5 years of professional work experience, you will be asked to submit a statement that outlines other indicators of exceptional motivation, such as solid upper-division performance, GMAT or GRE scores, and other relevant professional experience. The MS Management admissions committee may require a minimum GMAT or GRE score for students that do not automatically qualify by GPA and prior work.
How Decisions Are Made
The admissions committee considers each candidate’s entire record of achievement. This is demonstrated through:
- Academic transcripts
- Essay responses
- Work experience
- Extracurricular and community activities
- Letters of recommendation if applicable
- GMAT/GRE scores if applicable
No work experience or formal business education is required for admission. However, professional experience strengthens your application. Candidates with less work experience can show potential through academic and experiential success.
For any questions, please contact our admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-315-8200.
To meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) criteria, you must either showcase your proficiency through past education in English instruction or an English Language Proficiency test. If you are a citizen of a country whose official language is English, you do not have to prove proficiency. See below for a listing of accepted countries.
To claim proficiency, you must complete one of the following criteria. Please note that test scores are valid for two years.
- Submit a TOEFL score that meets the minimum requirements of 79 (IBT) or 537 (PBT).
The minimum IBT sub-scores for each section are:
- Reading: 18
- Listening: 17
- Speaking: 20
- Writing: 17
- Submit an IELTS score of at least 6.5 The minimum IELTS sub scores for the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections are 5.5.
- Submit a copy of completion from the CU Denver ESL Academy.
- Be a citizen of a country whose official language is English. International applicants holding a citizenship from the following countries do not need to prove their English language proficiency for admission to CU Denver: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Granada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, The Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom.
- International applicants may meet the English language proficiency requirement through any of the options below for previous coursework completed. Options for previous coursework completed which will satisfy admissions ELP requirements:
- Earn an associate or bachelor's degree in the US
- Earn a post-secondary credential (comparable to a US associate or bachelor's degree) in any of the exempt countries listed above
- Earn a post-secondary credential (comparable to a US associate or bachelor's degree) at an exempt-country-accredited school located in a non-exempt country
- Earned 12 or more credit hours in a master or doctoral degree program in the United States, an exempt country, or at an exempt-country-accredited school in a non-exempt country AND earned an overall college-level GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Plan to submit materials early to expedite processing. Deadlines apply to all required documents.
- Priority: April 15
- Final: July 15
- Priority: March 15
- Final: May 15
- Priority: October 15
- Final: December 15
- Priority: September 15
- Final: October 15
- Priority: February 15
- Final: April 15
- Priority: January 15
- Final: March 15
Our Business Career Connections (BCC) office connects top Denver employers to our students. They know what recruiters are looking for and have a wealth of resources that you have access to as a student and alumnus.
As a student, you’ll have access to a number of high-profile guest speakers. Past speakers have included executives from across the country representing companies including:
- Ball Aerospace
- Kaiser Permanente
Start the conversation.